Thursday, August 30, 2007

Maybe I Should Buy My Tomato Plants @ Verrill Farm Next Year




A few weeks ago (coincidentially, just about when all my tomato plants were biting the dust), I went to a Corn and Tomato Festival at Verrill Farm in Concord, MA. What a bargain.....for a mere six bucks, I got to taste 20+ varieties of tomatoes (including all the ones that I was attempting to grow at home), 6 varieties of corn on the cob, and several tasty dishes featuring corn and/or tomatoes that were made in the farmstand kitchen. The weather could not have been more perfect.....one of those summer days where the sky is an impossible shade of blue, the sun is warm on your face, but not it's not hot, and there is a cool breeze, almost chilly enough for a light jacket. I stupidly had eaten some lunch before I went, so I didn't have a lot of room in my belly for as much sampling as I wanted to do. Probably the best thing I had was a corn polenta. Yum! The festival is held every year in August. I'll definitely go back next year. I also recommend the Asparagus Festival in May.

No comments: