Friday, August 24, 2007

The Tumultuous Summer Of My Tomatoes



Back in June or July, I posted lovely pictures of my newly planted heirloom tomato plants. Although I watered diligently, and tended to them the best I knew how, with a heavy, sad heart, I must tell everyone that my plants did not make it. I'm VERY upset. I should be eating a tomato/olive oil/balsamic vinegar salad every night!

They are all in various stages of dying.....one plant, my green zebra stripe, was looking pretty sad when I left for Atlanta. Upon my return, it was totally dead (with 2 lonely tomatoes hanging from a branch). My middle plant, the purple calabash, fell over twice last week on a windy day, and sustained quite a bit of damage. Several of the branches (or stems? not sure what the proper term is) holding tomatoes, broke off. I had high hopes for the last one.....my yellow brandywine. Although not very big, it was starting to develop several tomatoes. All looked good.....until a few days ago, when all of the leaves started turning yellow. Which, I think is what happened to the green zebra before it took a turn for the worse.

I wish I had more knowledge of gardening.....I'm pretty certain they have gotten some disease that just killed the plants. My neighbors have been having trouble with their tomatoes and flowers too. I found it odd, that my plants didn't actually grow all that much once I planted them. They really didn't get tall like last year's plants. Maybe it was all the Miracle Grow I showered them with last year that made them grow so well. That's what I get for getting organic plants, organic soil, and no Miracle Grow. I guess it's back to the good ole chemicals next year!

No comments: